Thursday, May 16, 2013

SWAT

Every year our school has a character book parade. When my class participated, I was very specific. It had to be a character from "real" literature. No spiderman, Star Wars, etc. I wanted Fancy Nancy, Duck on a Bike, How Does a Dinosaur Say Thanks. You get the point. So here comes my son. I borrowed an adorable duck costume from a friend. I thought Duck for President, Duck on a Bike, so many choices. Of course I failed to mention these to Mills. Forward to Monday on the car ride home. Mills: Mayee, I have a parade tomorrow. Me: Yes, you are going to be a duck. Mills: No, I'm going to be a dinosaur. Me: No you are a duck. Mills: No dinosaurs are my favorite. You get the picture. I called his teacher and she said yes he acted like he had the costume already to go. Hmmmm. Off to town we go. We looked for a dinosaur costume to no avail. I did see a pirate and I thought How I Became a Pirate. Yeah! No, Mills sees the SWAT team costume and he is hooked. Me: Mills, you don't have a police man book.(Read, off the top of my head I can't think of a cute police man book.) Mills: Yes, I do. I have the Lego police book. Okay, now we have a costume that is not a character and he will carry a book that is not real literature at all! Against everything I ever said as a teacher-oh well! Mrs. Beaver said that he ate lunch with the helmet on. He handcuffed every first grader that was game at recess. He even tried to take a nap with the ensemble but practicality got the best of him. And so it goes!! All my teacher friends thought it was hilarious!

No comments: